Saturday, July 21, 2012

KillerCon 4 Interview: Mignon Fogarty


KillerCon 4 Guest of Honor Interview - Mignon Fogarty

Mignon Fogarty, the creator of Grammar Girl and the founder of the Quick and Dirty Tips Network, is also the author of the New York Times bestselling GRAMMAR GIRL'S QUICK AND DIRTY TIPS FOR BETTER WRITING and THE GRAMMAR DEVOTIONAL.  Her straightforward, bite-sized tips on grammar have led to features in the New York Times, USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, and an appearance on Oprah. She lives in Reno, Nevada. 


KC: How did you first find out about the KillerCon Convention and what were your initial thoughts about a horror convention held in Las Vegas?  

MF: I first found out about KillerCon when I was invited to speak at the convention. I didn’t have any unusual thoughts about it being in Las Vegas since so many conferences are held in Las Vegas. It seemed normal to me!

KC: What made you say yes to being a guest of honor at KillerCon 4? Most people don’t usually expect a grammar expert at a horror convention ;-) 

MF: It sounded like a conference full of writers. Just because they’re writing horror doesn’t mean they don’t care about good grammar ;-) 

KC: Are you a regular on the writer convention circuit? If so, what are some of the things you like and dislike most about conventions?  

MF: I’m not a regular on the writer convention circuit. I went to WorldCon last year, and it was my first convention. I had a blast there, and it was soon after that you invited me to KillerCon, so I thought it would be fun to attend another Con. My favorite part of the WorldCon was the costumes--both the high-level competition and the costumes people wore during the day. I’m curious to see whether people wear costumes at KillerCon, and if so, what they will be like.

KC: What are you looking forward to most at KillerCon 4?

MF: I’m looking forward to finding out what it’s all about. I have no preconceived notions or expectations. It will all be new and wonderful.

KC: What can readers expect from you next? 



MF: Well, I just released the last Grammar Girl book I’ll be writing for a while: 101 Troublesome Words You’ll Master in No Time. I still have to record the audiobooks for the four books in the 101 Words series, and I’m also working on Grammar Girl iPad games. I like to find ways to make it fun for people to learn about language, so games seemed like a natural way to go. Along with keeping all the regular Grammar Girl stuff going (podcast, newsletter, website, speaking, Twitter, Facebook), I expect the games will keep me busy for at least the next year.

***********************************************************************

KillerConLV would like to thank Mignon for taking the time out of her jam-packed schedule to stop by for this interview! :-)

Her workshop at KillerCon 4, Quick and Dirty Tips for Fiction Writers, takes place on Friday, September 21. For more information, please visit the Schedule/Events page.

-KillerConLV

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers! Please post your comment below.